Migration Software Articles
Migration Methodology Papers and Videos
The following papers describe how the tool-assisted methodology works in theory and practice:
- A Business Case for Migration presents the bottom line business case for migration.
- GM Methodology Overview provides an overview of our methodology and its benefits.
- Translation Mythbusters discusses the problems commonly associated with automated software translation and how Great Migrations products and our tool-assisted rewrite methodology address these challenges.
- Comparing Migration Methodologies Article introduces the concepts of a software migration project and compares a “manual rewrite” approach to a “high-yield-tool-assisted migration” approach.
- Code Restructuring describes how we allow you to customize the replacement of COM components and controls during a migration.
- Custom Language Replacement describes how we allow you to customize the replacement of VB6 language elements during a migration.
- BMW Financial Services VB6-to-C# Migration Case Study gives the history of how BMWFS developed and applied a strategy for tool-assisted migration.
- Code Quality describes how we measure and achieve code quality in our migrations.
- VIDEO: Channel 9 Interview with Founder describes our product, our methodology, and our history.
- VIDEO: Introduction to gmStudio screencast demonstrates gmStudio in the context of a small multi-VBP migration.
- VIDEO: ASP and VB6 Site Migration screencast demonstrates gmStudio in the context of a multi-VBP and ASP web site migration.
Translation Technology Papers
The following papers describe our technology:
- Design of a FORTRAN to C Translator describes the design of gmFortran, a Fortran-to-C compiler/translator.
- gmBasic Product Overview describes gmBasic, our VB6/ASP/COM to .NET translation tool.
- Introduction to gmBasic Technology walks the reader through two sample VB6 and ASP migrations using gmBasic.
- gmBasic Technical FAQ answers some of the common questions about gmBasic.